Need an energy boost at work? Take a couple of these bars wrapped in foil to keep you going.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 25-30 minutes
150g (5oz) blueberries
1 level tablespoon cornflour
75g (3oz) mixed sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds
175g (6oz) porridge oats
150g (5oz) block margarine or butter
75g (3oz) light muscovado sugar
2 level tablespoons golden syrup
75g (3oz) wholemeal plain flour
1. Preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF), Gas Mark 4. Lightly brush the base and sides of a shallow 20cm (8inch) cake tin and line the base with a square of non-stick baking paper the same size.
2. Put the blueberries in a bowl, sprinkle over the cornflour and gently mix with a spoon until the blueberries are evenly coated.
3. Add the seeds to a plastic bag, seal the end of the bag then bash with a rolling pin until the larger seeds are crushed. (Or leave them whole if you’d rather). Scoop out 3 tablespoons and put into a bowl with 3 tablespoons of the oats and save for the topping.
4. Add the margarine or butter, the sugar and the golden syrup to a saucepan and cook over a low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon until the margarine or butter has melted.
5. Take the saucepan off the heat. Tip the seeds from the plastic bag and the rest of the oats into the pan along with the flour and mix together well.
Spoon about two thirds of the oat mixture into the paper lined tin and spread flat with a round bladed knife. Sprinkle the blueberries on top then dot small spoonfuls of the rest of the oat mix on top to make an even layer with a few of the blueberries still showing. Sprinkle with the saved seeds and oats.